Are kids really that expensive?

Are kids really that expensive? 

Often times I hear people talk about how expensive kids are. But, I have a hard time believing this to be true. Let me break a few complaints down for you.

Complaint No. 1: Before the baby is born
I will be honest, most of the things people say are a must, are not.
When your baby is a baby the biggest thing they need is love.
My husband and I painted and decorated a nursery, but everyday I am learning how unneeded that was.
I do not use a crib, which means I did not need a mattress or sheet either. I do  not use a changing table (why do I want to go to the room every time I change a diaper?) It would not have made a difference if I had left the walls white. Burp clothes, I had way too many, but my baby did not spit up. I had a summer baby, so I never used the hats.
Other than clothes, diapers, wipes, and thing like this, the only must have I have found is a bumbo. I loved my, but my baby did not laying down.

Complaint No. 2: Diapers are so expensive
Invest in a Costco membership. Diaper are only $29.99 for a box. This is when they are not on sale. Diapers are on sale often and you can stock up than. This box should last you roughly a month.

So...when we break it down. Most people spend $5-$10 a day going out to eat for lunch. If you spent one week out of the month bring lunch to work instead of eating out, you paid for your diapers.
If this does not work for you, look into using cloth diapers.

Complaint No. 3:Food expense
I choose to breastfeed, It's free. So far, so good.
Not all are able or choose to breastfeed. If this is your case there are sights like  Baby Cheapskate that often post deals on formula. Pediatrician offices are often giving samples out for free, hospitals give them out for free, look around.
As they grow, do you really need more food than you already have. Do you ever have any left overs? Your child does not eat as much food as you do, they can have the "left overs". Yes, as they grow they need more food. But, this is a slow process. Hopefully as they grow, you are able to make more money to offset the difference.

Complaint No. 4: Clothing
Babies grow so quickly, I do not understand spending a huge amount of money here. What is wrong with used clothing when they only fit in them for 3 months?
I have bought a few items new, but I only in the clearance, when the clearance is on sale. You do not need a ton.
I am also a fan of the kid consignment shops. Most areas have something like this. Here is a sight that may help you find one near you. https://www.jbfsale.com/home.jsp
Hand me downs and used clothing work great when kids are younger, but as they get older, this may not be the case. Give your kids a budget and let them decide how far to make the money go. (You can buy three shirts here, or only one here, you decide.)

Complaint No. 5: Holidays
Really, your house does not need to look like Toys-R-Us.
While your children are young what is wrong with used toys? You can find nice, almost new condition toys used all the time. This is how children learn, so yes, you will need some. But, there is no need to go over board. Teach them to play outside, and explore the world. We do not need to be entertained ALL the time.

As children get older, yes, they cost more. Do they cost as much as some statistics? I have a hard time believing so.There are many choices you can make that will add or reduce the costs along the way. Some of these areas where you can choose are food, clothes, child care, activities, and education. But there are also some areas where you may not have as much of a choice, like medical. We all have unexpected emergencies.

For the record you cannot put a price on the joy that children bring. The Smiles as you walk through the door. The hugs and kisses. The outstretched arms reaching for you, just because they want to love you, and you to love them. The cuddles, day and night. The "firsts".

Oh, what a blessing children are. Don't let the finances of children robe you of the joy they bring.



No comments:

Post a Comment